Aprilia shiver Review

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/267059/images/01shiver750.jpg

MCN overall verdict rating is 4

For 2010 they’ve made the Shiver more user friendly by lowering and narrowing the seat. They’ve also improved the sporting side of the Aprilia by giving the new bike higher and further set back pegs, slightly different bars, narrower rear wheel, and improving the brakes with racy wavy discs. Suspension has also been firmed up slightly. Cosmetically it’s been given a sportier new look and new noise.

Engine

MCN rating rating is 4
Owners' rating rating is 4.5
Engine wise the Shiver remains virtually unchanged, however Aprilia admit to playing around with the fuelling and fly by wire to make the fuelling smoother. This means power and torque is the same as before 95bhp and 60ftlb of torque, which is enough for a top speed of around 130mph. You don’t really need to bounce the Shiver off its rev limiter as there is plenty of usable torque for a brisk road ride.  

Ride and Handling

MCN rating rating is 4
Owners' rating rating is 4
The lower and narrow seat means you’re slightly more involved with the bike, more in it than on it. Suspension has been slightly stiffened for 2010 and the additional rear set pegs give the Shiver a sporting edge. Brakes are strong and progressive. Over long distances it’s not perfect but fine for a long days riding with a few breaks.

Equipment

MCN rating rating is 4
Owners' rating rating is 4
ABS is optional for an extra £300. However, Brembo brakes comes as standard the rear Sacks side mounted shock is also fully adjustable. Additionally to the fly-by-wire the Shiver comes with 3 different engine modes Sport, Touring and Rain, which can be activated on the move. There’s also the same as before LCD multi functional display which can also be operated from the mode switch on the left bar. Compare and buy parts for the Shiver in the MCN Shop.


Note that my Shiver is completely stock. The only thing I’ve done is remove the head fairing to give it a more pure streetfighter look.

Pros:

- Looks Awesome from front to back, badass attractive streetfighter look and stance.
- Immense accessible Torque and power from around 3800 RPM to up to 7500 RPM
- Amazing Sound, that thing really sounds mean and imposing even with stock exhaust.
- Easy to ride, very flickable, Excellent Handling.
- Wheelies in 1st and 2nd Gear
- Stoppie Looks amazing with the Massive undertail Exhausts pointing skywards
- Brakes are good, pretty good stopping power (Rear brake feels kind of mushy)
- Rain Mode could be useful

Cons:

- Abysmal Gearbox , mishifts , it randomly jumps to Neutral when changing gears especially noticeable in the upper gears, not very easy to find neutral on standstill. ( this is a huge disappointment to me) however I have noticed that it’s getting better now that I’ve put some more miles on it. (1013 miles on ODO now)
- Seat is just not as comfortable as I expected it to be. I have no problem with seat height in fact I prefer it to be high, but that seat is just uncomfortable to sit on for more than 1 hour.
- Non-Adjustable suspension, some people say it’s too soft some say it’s too stiff, personally I think it’s kind of both. It’s too stiff if you don’t feel like tooling around and just want to ride comfortably or commute and it’s not as stiff and firm as I like to be if am riding canyons or doing high speed turns. Some slight headshakes and wiggles when ridden hard.
- Uncomfortable to ride on High speeds (above 80mph), but I guess that’s standard with naked bikes and it’s not that big a deal
- I don’t like the feel of the engine after 7500 rpm it sort of like gets boring.
- Low speed bogging? Below 30km/h the bike just feels like its dying, it seems like something wrong with fuel delivery or maybe sprocket set up.
- Mode Changing is kind of distracting; Sport Mode is a bit too snappy, while Touring Mode is allright I guess

This is a very Honest review, I’de like to say I’m an aggressive rider and am very demanding of the bikes I own. I chose the Shiver because I was looking for a bike with an upright position because after 5 years of riding crotch rockets for nearly everyday I was starting to feel pain in my neck and back.

Overall I don't regret Buying the Aprilia Shiver but i just expected better.

Please if you have read my review and have any solutions to these Cons , I’m all Ears.

0 comments:

Post a Comment